The Cartoon Art Museum will host artist Robinson Edgar on Saturday, September 20, 2014 from 1-3 pm as part of its ongoing Cartoonist-in-Residence program. Visitors will be given the chance to talk to Robinson, view and discuss his work. This event is free and open to the public.
Robinson Edgar is a Bay Area based cartoonist and illustrator. After graduating from California College of the Arts, his work has been featured in the works of online magazine Thünk (A) and the performances of multimedia dance group Kinetech. He is also the creator of a short series of comedic animations featured on his YouTube channel. His work is influenced by the works of Walt Kelly, Dan O’Neill and Vaughn Bode. His other interests include music, gaming and film. You can find more of his work at: http://www.robinsonedgar.com
About the Cartoonist in Residence Program:
The Cartoon Art Museum regularly hosts professional cartoonists in its galleries as part of its Cartoonist-in-Residence program. Museum patrons see cartoonists at work on their latest projects and learn everything you ever wanted to know about cartoonists – but were afraid to ask. Past featured Cartoonists-in-Residence include Paul Madonna (All Over Coffee), Keith Knight (K Chronicles, (th)ink), Paige Braddock (Jane’s World), Roman Muradov (The New Yorker) and Jimmy Gownley (Amelia Rules), among many others.
An amazing tribute to an amazing comedian. Rest in peace, Joan. Sorry this caption’s kinda sappy. (via @newyorkermag)
By Benjamin Schwartz, the New Yorker daily cartoon. We miss you, Joan.
Splash page from TEEN-AGE ROMANCES #84 by Jack Kirby and Vince Colletta
Here’s a list of even MORE comic stores that are donating a percentage of their sales on August 28, for Jack “King” Kirby's birthday event, Kirby4Herores, for the Hero Initiative, auctioning off original artwork, or as a collection point for donations.
To participate, please visit the following awesome comics retailers:
- Alakazam Comics (alakazamcomics.com), Irvine, CA
- Alternate Reality Comics (alternaterealitycomics.net/new), Las Vegas, NV
- Arcadian Comics and Games (arcadiancomics.com), Newport, KY
- Aw Yeah Comics (awyeahcomics.com), Skokie, IL
- Beyond Comics (beyondcomics.com) , Frederick, MD (also hosting artist Dave Waugh for day-long live drawing)
- Borderlands Comics and Games (borderlands.us) , Greenville, SC
- Carol and John’s Comic Book Shop (cnjcomics.com/site) , Cleveland, OH
- Earth-2 Comics (facebook.com/Earth2Comics), Los Angeles, CA
- The Fallout Shelter: Comics, Games & Collectibles (falloutsheltercomics.com), Highland Park, NJ
- Flying Colors Comics (flyingcolorscomics.com), Concord, CA
- Hero Complex Games and Entertainment (facebook.com/pages/Hero-Complex-Games-and-Entertainment/147406635324060), Wichita, KS
- Jesse James Comics (jessejamescomics.com/home.html), Glendale, AZ
- Lee’s Comics (lcomics.com), Mountain View, CA
- Mission: Comics and Art (missioncomicsandart.com) , San Francisco, CA
- Nix Comics (nixcomics.com) , an online store donating a percentage of sales to Hero
- The Piranha Shop (thepiranhashop.com) , South Seattle, WA (with over 40 local artists creating original Kirby-themed art)
Fans can also visit the official Kirby4Heroes campaign Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/kirby4heroes and donate via the PayPal link at HeroInitiative.org. Please type in “Kirby4Heroes” in the special instructions box.
Check out the official Kirby4Heroes website (kirby4heroes.com) for information.
The Cartoon Art Museum and SF Zinefest are proud to present Thinking Captions 2014: Cartoonists Reading Their Cartoons, at the Cartoon Art Museum on Thursday, August 28th from 7pm to 9pm. A diverse lineup of small-press cartoonists and zine makers exhibiting at this years’s SF Zinefest—Nomi Kane (brewforbreakfast.com), Amy Burek (awkwardladiesclub.com ), Rick Kitagawa (rickkitagawa.com ), Tomas Moniz and Ryan Sands (youthindecline.com)—will read from their respective works, accompanied by a special presentation. The suggested donation for this event is $5, although no one will be turned away for lack of funds.
The official English trailer for Studio Ghibli’s The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya.
This is Studio Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata’s first feature-length movie since 1999’s My Neighbors the Yamadas.
The North American release will be handled by GKids, who previously brought over Ghibli’s From Up on Poppy Hill. The movie will feature the voice talents of Chloë Grace Moretz, who will be voice acting the main character, James Caan, Mary Steenburgen, Darren Criss, Lucy Liu, Beau Bridges, James Marsden, Oliver Platt and Dean Cain.
Gkids is planning a limited theatrical run for the movie in North America starting on October 17th.
My Little Pony #12 1 Million Cover by Sara Richard
Special thanks to Sara for donating this artwork to be auctioned off for charity!